What's Xaye up to?

Monday, December 31, 2007

Return from Pembroke

Jerome and I recently took (recently meaning we returned today) a weekend trip to Strasburg, VA.

While we were gone Xaye stayed with Nanny and G Pops for the weekend. I found myself smiling as Nanny reminded Pops and I that things would not go exactly as we want - and it helped me relax and enjoy our weekend retreat.

We laughed and talked about Xaye and his recent silliness as we drove to - and from - the retreat. We talked about being a family, about being parents, about being grateful. Xaye brings so much joy to my life. He challenges my patience, my creativity - my focus. I feel myself striving to be a better person in his presence.

I am grateful for the constant reminder of being mindful - and easily drawn back into our family world with a grin - his voice on my phone, and an invitation to play.

Xaye is doing a lot of imitating. Imitating Pop and I and how we interact with him. I appreciate that I find humor in his antics - and in my own voice coming from him. It is another tool that I find useful - and I have such respect for the safety we have in our relationship for him to say exactly what he wants to say.

Oh sure, I know you are thinking - he's 2. He doesn't have a filter. He doesn't realize he could be 'crossing a line'.
I think he does. He really knows how to read people - and he knows what is kind. He sees it in us - and when he doesn't, he lets us know.

It hurts a little everytime he lets me know if I am being unkind. At the same time, it is exactly what I have been asking for from my friends and family my whole life. I appreciate that this is the time in his life that he can offer it - and that it is also the time in my life when I can truly hear it.

Thanks Xaye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home